giovedì 1 dicembre 2016

III & IV YEAR LIT: MONOLOGUES (CHOOSE ONE AND MAKE IT YOURS)

Be ready to perform the monologue of your choice (DUE DEC 15TH).... yes, commit it to memory, learn it by heart. NOTE: if you want, you can choose a male character if you are a female, and viceversa.

TODD: It’s my thoughts of what could be…the idea of you, what you have in you to be but not who you are right now….it’s clinging to hope, Sharon.  Clinging with all my strength.  That’s what I’m in love with…who you could be…That may sound childish or selfish…maybe I’m just a total asshole…I’m just trying to understand my feelings…


20 SECOND RANT
DREW: I really can’t stand when people have an opinion about things they have no knowledge about.  It’s the most annoying thing in the world.  The worst is when these same people go on and on getting all pumped up on their own self proclaimed wisdom.  You know those kind?  Always think they know better than you or more than you know, especially about your own field.  It’s like they buy their own sense of bullshit and expect everyone else to fall down at their feet.


FRAME OF MIND
MITCH: It’s a certain view; the way one thinks…that’s really it.  (pause.)  It’s the difference between a dumb man and a wise man.  You follow?  No?  Well, that’s okay.  To be more specific; the man who controls his own mind, controls the world, HIS world.  Everything in it, everything surrounding it.  His destiny.  His happiness.  It’s all a frame of mind, you see?  When you put things in perspective and keep them there, without emotion…that’s the skill set.


IT’S MINE:  Bring it.  I will out work you, out play you, out hustle you and out think you.  When you put in ten hours, I put in twenty.  I work until I can’t see straight, every single day because I want it more than you do.  I see it more than you do.  I taste it, breathe it, smell it..I am it. Until I die.  While you’re out there being the bitch that you are…I’m grinding hard, real hard, sweating and screaming and stressing and pushing…past the limit, past the breaking point.  You play it, I live it.  That’s why it’s mine.



ACTING DIFFERENT
CASSANDRA: You act different.  Whenever we are all hanging out, you put on this macho man type act.  You don’t act like you when you’re in front of your friends.  I don’t like it.  Why do you do that? (beat) You do!  You do!  You are so sweet and kind to me when we are alone together but as  soon as we are chilling out with your boys, you treat me different.  You tease me like you’re mocking me.
Just be you from now on because you make me feel like what we have together is a lie when you treat me like you don’t even care about me, in front of your friends.
Okay???



FALSE REALITY
VINCI:  It’s all about… all about looking into yourself…like trying to put your hand inside and pulling something out that means something more, you know?  That’s the problem, isn’t it, the truth seems to be covered in layers of smog.  It’s like we’re all after a false reality—I’m gonna escape it…don’t know what I’m gonna find but I do know that whatever I’ve been looking at, isn’t the real frikkin thing—there’s something more…





THE BEAR
I want to care less about caring so much…I think that’s been my biggest—well, one of my problems, anyway…there have been times in my life when I have been lucky to ‘let go’ completely and I’m flying but flying in such a way where it feels as though something greater than me is carrying me afloat; a connection to something higher, wider.  Does that sound corny?  (beat) It’s different.  I want that all the time, more rooted naturally within my inner self if that makes any sense, without all the fuss and mental shit that clogs me up, getting in the way.  The battles are exhausting. Sometimes, I get the bear and other times, the bear gets me…


SMALL TOWN
Sometimes I imagine myself living in a remote town somewhere in the middle of America. Just taking in nature and working the land to feed and support my life. Peace. Quiet. No T.V. No Internet.  No Smart Phone.  No one around for miles. A tiny little town I could venture into from time to time with just a market, a post office, a gas station and a hardware store.


ONE SHOT
JESSE:  Look, I’m gonna do everything in my power to help you.  But you know how it is…these things, when they happen, it can go either way.  Just go about your business, pretend nothing happened and I’ll find out more details in the upcoming weeks.  (beat)  Don’t make that face Maggie, it takes time, if you want this done right, it takes time.  Okay?  I want this bastard too.  But we need to do this the right way.  We only have one shot at this.


HOLD ME
CINDY:  You don’t hug me anymore like you used to, like in the beginning of our relationship.  Why is that?  I like feeling your arms wrapped around me, hugging me and holding me.  I love being in your den.  Don’t stop doing that and saying that it’s because you can’t sleep that way because we would go to bed like that all of the time.  Lately, I don’t know, you don’t seem to hug me as much.  (beat)  I want to be close to you at night.  I like feeling your body next to mine.  Can you hold me more often, please?


FACT OF THE MATTER
DIANE: (on phone) She’s been sick in the hospital for four days and NOW you call me to get the number???  What’s wrong with you?  This is your Mother, your Mother!  You have ONE Mother Benjamin…ONE.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  (beat)  I don’t give a shit where you were or what excuses with your phone you want to give me…the fact of the matter is that you knew about it DAYS ago and you waited until now to call me back.  No, no, stop, stop with your bullshit excuses Ben, okay?  I’m done with it….THE NUMBER IS 212-485-2214.  Did you take it down?  212-485-2214.  That’s it.  Call her NOW.



RESONANCE
Q:  It’s a chord.  Trying to find the chord that gives off the most resonance.  It doesn’t always come.  When it doesn’t there is this subtle emptiness that engulfs me within and leaves me gasping for breath.  I’ve learned to dwell in this abyss of quiet.  I wake in its calm.  Almost, almost as if we are dismissive enemies.






ENOUGH PEACE TO BREATHE
ARIAH: You know, I…look into your eyes and I…all I want to do is help you.  I connect with your pain…I don’t want to see you suffer like this anymore.  You know?  It’s just not right.  I don’t want to see you go through this anymore.
This life we live, it’s so damn short…we can’t keep spending it on stress and misery.  There needs to be a way to live happy within the dark.
Enough peace to breathe.
We need to continue doing what we’re doing but, we need to find a way to be content with the way things are, or else we’re going to go crazy.




THAT
MASON: I know, I know…you look at me like I’m a maniac.  Cause I am, I am a maniac.  I’m maniacal.  I am. (pause.) When you love something…so much…when you will go to the ends of the Earth for it, bleed for it, die for it…because you have to, you just have to…to others, you appear to be a lunatic because no one can fathom what makes you tick the way you tock.
Even you don’t know yourself but it’s this thing, inside of you, that you can’t shake, that you have to satisfy, this thirst, hunger, whatever you wish to call it…that, that’s what it’s all about man.
That.


(over phone in his office)
CARLSTON:  How can you say that stuff about me in the media, Jim?  I’ve known you for twenty-one odd years and you go and slander my name, my entire reputation on things that aren’t even fact checked?  How do you know?! How do you know if the allegations against me are true or false?  There is no leaked source, there is no solid data, there are no facts, Jim.
What you have is a deep desire to get your story out to the masses and hurt everything I’ve worked so hard for because it will make you shine and make you a rock star journalist.  Am I right?  Am I right?
Well, you blew it, pal.  I will take you for everything you are worth.  I will destroy you, the same way you have tried to destroy me.  And why? Huh?  Why?  Why me?  You know who I am, what I’m about.  Why me?!
You’re double-dealing, aren’t you?  Getting a big payoff from one of my competitors, is that it?  …Okay, if that’s the way they want to play ball, then that is the way we will play ball.
You know Jim, I actually liked you.  I thought you were one of the good guys and I’m usually a pretty damn good judge of character.  I am.  But this has all taken me for quite a loop.  Maybe I am losing my touch cause I didn’t see this coming.
But one things for sure Jim, it will be set right…

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento